March has come in with a vengeance here in Chicago and the weather promises to be lion-like for a while. But it will all be out like a lamb by month’s end. But Mid Century Modern is forever, right? It doesn’t look like it will go out of style any time soon. Here are some happenings, stories and more that caught my eye recently while doing story research and more this week:
- A Modernist house, designed by African-American architect Roger Margerum, in Chicago’s Woodlawn neighborhood was sold to a California fan. He plans to rent the place. Air BnB, anyone?
- I learned about Modern Phoenix Week while researching the reborn Mountain Shadows for a story. Looks like serious fun.
- Same research led me to a page on Mid Century Modern architect Ralph Haver who designed schools, churches and the famed Kon Tiki in South Phoenix.
- This 1962 Alabama Mid Century Modern home comes with a koi pond. How cool is that?
- A powerful op-ed piece on what’s at stake if the 1961 Union Carbide Building in New York City falls.
That’s it. Notice all the Mid Century Modern as you drive and walk wherever you are.