By Mary Beth Klatt
Rank has its privileges in the military. Case in point: Pershing Hall at the Presidio in San Francisco. The Colonial Revival red-brick building with Georgian and Federal Revival elements is named after famed general John “Blackjack” Pershing, who served at the Presidio of San Francisco. It was a handsome home away from home for high-ranking, bachelor officers for decades. The three-story hall, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is now 22-room boutique hotel Inn at the Presidio. San Francisco firms Architectural Resources Group and BraytonHughes Design Studios collaborated on the $7 million renovation.
Read more here.
It’s not often I get to actually visit the houses I post about in these round-ups, but I saw the Midwestern Beauty in the picture above.
- That Midwestern Beauty? That’s this 1955 house. It’s iupside down – kitchen is on the top floor! The house feels small for a family, but what a view from the living room.
- I like the idea of these birdhouse campers. But I’d want to play with them and have them by pulled by a mini classic car. Who’s with me here?
- Well known for designing for Knoll, Harry Bertoia’s daughter will speaking about her father’s work at IIT next month.
- Last Lustron ever built? Hard to know for sure, but this Illinois house is on the market.
- An early historic preservation Jane Jacobs’ prescient words on what would be her 100th birthday on Wednesday.
That’s it for now, friends. Enjoy.
In no particular order, here are the things all Mid Century Modern that have fascinated me. I’ll start in the order of what fascinates me most:
- This Brisbane, Australia home is beyond adorable, but there is no word on the classic car in the photo above. I’m dying to know more. Please tell me, writer, don’t leave me hanging on this crucial detail!
- First peek at the TWA Hotel. Will watching airplanes take off and land ever get old?
- Wow. I’m checking out this book of photographer Marvin Rand’s book…like tomorrow. Really rad 1960s vintage photos of Mid Century Modern homes.
- Jennifer Aniston and other celebs in their Mid Century Modern (inspired) homes.
- The Man Who Saved Havana. Interesting story, I’ll bookmark it to read it later.
That’s it friends. If you’re in Chicago, enjoy the weather!
Here’s my weekly round-up of all things Mid Century Modern, a list that I build all week long.
- I’m loving these garage doors of a Naperville, Ill. Mid Century Modern 1959 home. All it needs is a classic car for an out-of-this-world photo op.
- Interesting concept: can a vegan diner save a Mid Century Modern commercial building?
- Mid Century Modern church from 1959 was nearly shut down…but parish paid off debt and brought in 40 new families. What other churches will need to do to survive.
- A couple with a baby on board restore a 1946 trailer on their own.
- The city of Greenville, S.C. wants to designate this 1955 home as a historic landmark.
That’s it for today, friends. Over and out for now.